Newcastle Electorate (NSW)
Guides for Newcastle
View on your phone or print at home → Record choices → Take to the polling booth
It's never been easier... Just vote climate!
About the guides
Vote Climate One categorises all candidates and parties into three easy-to-follow groupings.
Listings are displayed in alphabetical order within each traffic light colour group.
Vote Climate One is party neutral. Positioning in lists does not infer any candidate or party is superior or inferior to another within each group.
Traffic Light Rankings on this page:
Other resources on this web site:
Lower House: Newcastle
Upper House: NSW Legislative Council
Recommendations and news for Newcastle
Promising Green Light candidates
Green light candidate John Mackenzie (Running)
All Greens candidates for the NSW state election have been assessed by Vote Climate One as Green Light Candidates because of their strong policy and action on climate.
The Greens NSW believe that:
1. Humans have radically altered Earth’s biophysical environment; this degradation poses the greatest threat to our planet’s climate system. A meaningful shift by communities, governments and corporations to a more harmonious and symbiotic relationship with Earth’s living systems is urgently required.
2. Climate change threatens all aspects of life. It is already disrupting human societies through changing weather patterns, extreme weather events, desertification and sea level rise. It threatens food security, water, the economy, social cohesion and the well-being of humans and other living things. Impacts will escalate, putting increased pressure on natural resources and consequent impacts …
Green light candidate Freya TAYLOR (Running)
Pictured: 2022 NSW Senate candidate Cr Georgia Lamb (right).
“The viability of our societies depends on leaders from government, business and civil society uniting behind policies, actions and investments that will limit temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius.” Australian Broadcasting Corporation
“The world’s leading climate scientists have warned that the prospect of limiting global warming to 1.5C will be out of reach within 12 years at current rates of greenhouse gas emissions, in a report that finds it is now “unequivocal’’ that human activity is heating the planet.” The …
Green light candidate Tim CLAYDON (Running)
Legalise Cannabis NSW Party answered all our foundational questions strongly in the affirmative. Despite the lack of climate emergency information on their website they are ranked as a GREEN light party. Their tag line for climate is “There is no life on a dead …
Green light candidate Niko Leka (Running)
Real climate action
- A planned shift to 100% renewable energy within 5-10 years via public investment and emission reduction targets
- Bring the power industries under public ownership and democratic control
- Phase out fossil fuels: no new coal or gas projects, including Adani; ban fracking and unconventional gas mining
- Guaranteed jobs with no loss in pay for workers in fossil fuel industries
- End all fossil fuels subsidies
- Asylum for climate refugees and those displaced by climate change
- Ban the logging of old-growth forests
- Begin an urgent program of reforestation, sustainable farming and biodiversity protection
- Employ Indigenous rangers to lead the urgent program of reforestation, cultural burning, biodiversity protection and sustainable farming projects
- Enforce the rehabilitation of mine sites by companies
- Institute a national heat health strategy
- No nuclear energy, no nuclear weapons and no uranium mining
For a safe climate, affordable energy
- Put energy back into public hands
- Boost investment for 100% renewable energy by 2030
- Phase out …
Upper House party recommendations
Vote Climate One has assessed these parties as the safest bet for action on climate change. The parties are listed in alphabetical order. List placement does not infer ranking.
Elizabeth Farrelly Independents
Climate Action From fires to floods, climate change is affecting us all, with the potential for extreme damage to our homes, our communities and our economy. We not only need to take urgent action to transition rapidly to efficient, zero emission, low cost energy but to enable communities dependent on fossil fuel industries to effectively …Read more
Our rigorous assessment has scored green light parties above all others on ecological and climate policy. We advise you to preference members of parties like this first on your ballot paper.Read more
Sustainable Australia Party – Stop Overdevelopment / Corruption
Climate change Pictured: 2022 NSW Senate candidate Cr Georgia Lamb (right). “The viability of our societies depends on leaders from government, business and civil society uniting behind policies, actions and investments that will limit temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius.” Australian Broadcasting Corporation “The world’s leading climate scientists have warned that the prospect of limiting global warming …Read more
The Greens NSW
The NSW Greens have an excellent climate policy. Their parliamentary performance supporting action on climate has been outstanding. The Greens are the only minor party which has been ranked with a Green Light. Their policies and voting record contrast starkly with the National Party who are unequivocally Red Light on climate.Read more
Got something to tell us about Newcastle or the NSW Legislative Council?
(If you would prefer to speak with a human please call: 0458 221 799)